Brian's Travel Journal

Friday, December 02, 2005

Heartland

I just drove 24 hours (2 - 12 hour days) across the United States from Colorado to North Carolina for the holidays. If you are not familiar with the I-70 to I-40 exchange it is mostly a straight shot and mostly quite boring. Not to mention this trail takes you directly through the heart of "Bush Country." The Colorado plains, Kansas, Illinois, Tennessee, Kentucky...yes sir, these are Big Red states and it shows. Pickup trucks, Vote for Bush signs rotting on the side of the road, "We Support our Troops" bumper stickers, and people smoking inside gas stations ought to sum it up for ya'll. It's funny because as I drive through the deep south I am amazed at the scenery. It's so beautiful here and I think to myself (because I'm the only one in the car to talk to for all those hours) that "I could live here!" "Yes, definitely. This place is wonderful." And then I step out of the car and hear people converse with each other and themselves. Try to get waited on at the deli-counter in the grocery store. They can change a spare tire for a NASCAR race in 6.2 seconds flat, but it takes a little under 20 minutes to cut my cheese?!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home