Brian's Travel Journal

Wednesday, July 20, 2005

There's a Fungus Amongus

Well I've been pretty fortunate not to catch Asian bird flu, malaria or dengue fever yet. I have however contracted a couple of rather annoying funguses. One is on my back, chest and upper arms that is robbing my skin of its pigmentation. I look like I have light-white spots all over me. The other is the ever-persistent jock itch. Yeah, I won't go into details about the thoroughness of that exam. Luckily, I found a fantastic English speaking French doctor here in Saigon and he had the diagnosed soaps and creams right there in his office.

Both fungal types are apparently quite common in SE Asia due to the extreme heat combined with humidity in the air. I was quite thankful at how quickly he diagnosed both cases as I've always been scared of getting some rare 3rd world disease that only four white people on the planet have ever caught before. For reference: It's usually not a good sign when the doctor has to go to his bookshelf or calls in a bunch of more doctors for a group consultation.

1 Comments:

  • At 2:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    eww grose!
    hey.. if you have email. .will you email me, I have a q. to ask you,
    only if you want.. im sure you think im psycho that im still reading your blog.
    crystal -hbw
    cnault@you should know the rest

     

Post a Comment

<< Home