Brian's Travel Journal

Sunday, April 17, 2005

Rolling through J-town

Jakarta during daylight hours is quite frankly a shithole of a SE Asian city. It is hot, smoggy, and choked with unshakable traffic until the wee hours of the morning. The people on the street seem the same as anywhere else no more or less friendly. As for photo opportunities the city can invariably be toured of its grand features in one day. Most are located conveniently within walking distance of the tourist ghetto (precisely where I'm staying). I spent the day at the National Museum, Presidential palace, went up the grand spire and visited the largest mosque in SE Asia. The mosque was actually a highlight of the trip for me as an armed guard who was more than willing to request a bribe led me on a half-hour tour of the grand structure during mid-day prayers. What strange looks we got!

That being said, If you plan to come here, get your sightseeing out of the way on Thursday because you won't see much daylight again until Monday. Jakarta has one hell of a great nightlife! And I'm not talking about the shitty tourist-centric, cheesy-music playing, hooker-filled, bad vibe haunts that overpopulate Asia. These are genuine cover-charged establishments with overpriced drinks, pretty people, and kick-ass electronic music. Aside from residing in classy hotel basements and the mix of mostly brown revilers, you wouldn't be able to distinguish these clubs from any in NYC or central London. On both Friday and Saturday nights, I catch a quick nap from 7p until 10p, get ready for dinner and dance the night away until the wee hours. I heard tell of a club called Stadium that opens on Friday and doesn't close until Monday morning. I never made it there as both clubs I selected (Retro and Bats) satisfy until dawn and as I've had quite enough each morning, I choose instead to settle into a nice slumber til late afternoon.

Good times prevail when Jakarta goes dark. I've made many new friends and have people to meet up with in Kuala Lumpur at the Heinekin Electronic Music fest on April 30th. Tomorrow I bid the city goodbye for breathable air and country splendor as I head NW into Sumatra.

1 Comments:

  • At 2:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Just wanted to to drop ya note to say hey and I'm keeping an eye on your blog - pretty great trip so far - seems eye opening to say the least - things are a little different than they first appear or what is engrained in us huh? If ya need anything - leave a note

     

Post a Comment

<< Home