Brian's Travel Journal

Saturday, April 02, 2005

Two Roads Diverged in a Wood...

...and I - unlike Robert Frost - I took the one more traveled. This week Josh and I went our separate ways: he continuing in the Philippines and I hoping a plane down to Bali, Indonesia. And for the first time on the travels I have finally hooked into the "tourist trail." For those of you unfamiliar with this journey, it is a Western pilgrimage running throughout the year. The standard route starts in Bangkok, heads into Vietnam, Laos, then back through Thailand on the way South to Malaysia and finally Indo; where most Europeans (quite often on a "round the world ticket") hop a flight straight away to Australia. I will be venturing in the reverse of this tsunami of travelers for a quite different perspective.

I have been taken in by a rowdy bunch of Englishmen who quickly dubbed me "the yank." More shenanigans to follow...

2 Comments:

  • At 1:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You can hardly call it a trek or traveling adventure without a few shananigans. - b_inmyshoes

     
  • At 8:28 PM, Blogger lora said…

    You know, I wondered if this crazy "circle" happens in other countries - seems from your comments here, it does. Funny. This happens also in Peru and New Zealand. Everything about life is a circle - this is an interesting concept especially when thinking about Buddhism and detachment. Ah, so much to learn. . .

     

Post a Comment

<< Home