Brian's Travel Journal

Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Bukittinggi

Today I find myself in a small city that used to be an Indo tourist mecca. Unfortunately, due to various travel warnings, sunamis and earthquakes; I am a lone tourist. Yes, after a nice English las named Katherine left town yesterday I am the only white face for miles. Luckily, I have found a local bunch of "long-hairs" to pass the days hanging around Apache cafe.

Rented a motorbike yesterday and was thankfully only run off the road once, with about 1/2 dozen near-misses. Gotta love Asian road rules...oh wait, no rules.

Today I was interviewed by 2 more groups of children (15 y/o's and 9 y/o's). Also, hung around 20 minutes while a woman took out money so she could rent a camera to take her picture with me. Seemed like a LOT of trouble for a pic, but she insisted. I don't think I'll ever get over the oddity of the "foreigner photo-op."

Also went to one of those horror-story zoos that you sometimes see on 20/20 or 60 minutes. I'll spare you all the details and just say that it was just as sad as you imagine.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home