Brian's Travel Journal

Friday, August 19, 2005

Cash Karma

I moved to the capital city of Jordan, Amman, and I have been ridiculously undercharged all day! OK, Petra is a tourist town so I expected a little fleecing. But, I bought a water here and it was 1/4 the cost of Petra. Then, I bought a shawerma sandwich and soda. Again, about 1/3 what I was expecting. Did they forget the soda? The cab ride from the bus station all the way across town - this time the same price as a 5 minute ride back to my hotel yesterday. The kicker of the day came from the bus ride itself. I already know the price is 3 Dinar ($4.50). We get almost to the city and as he taps my shoulder I hand him a 5JD. This guy has the nerve to say "6 Dinar, 3 and 3" signaling at my bag on the seat next to me. What! I asked the driver to put it under the bus and he told me to bring it inside, plus they never filled up. As I explain all this and he gives me the look like he doesn't speak English - he says "4" and I give him the stink-eye and say "whatever, give me 1 back." He collects some more money for a while and then shoves 7JD in my hand and walks back to the front. Are you following so far? He just paid me 2JD to ride his bus for 4 hours! I sit there dumbstruck with the money in my hand. Thinking to myself - if I keep this money, there could be bad karmic consequences. Something I've been trying very hard to avoid lately. In the end I decided that it was his bad karma - from trying to rip me off - that resulted in his giving the wrong change. I keep the money and vow to pass it on to someone more worthy than either him or myself. And I did just that. Story to follow tomorrow!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home