Brian's Travel Journal

Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Beads Plant the Seeds for Good Deeds

Religion, whether I want it or not is all around me. The best approach I've found is to observe worshipers in action, take it all in, and try to find common ground. One thing I've noticed accross faiths is the use of prayer beads. Ordinary men and women walking the street stroking a string of beads between their fingers. They come in many names (Buddha beads, Rosary beads, and now I've seen a Muslim version but can't get an official name) but all have the same purpose. Transfix the mind, keep your fingers busy (because idle hands are the devils playground), and bring one closer to God by always keeping him in your thoughts. Seriously, with all the commonalities I keep uncovering. What's everybody fighting about?

For the curious: I'm in Jordan this week. Visiting the city of Amman and the ruins of Petra along with a few lesser known acheological sites.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home