Brian's Travel Journal

Friday, July 29, 2005

Nightmare on Wheels

I know I've been getting pretty personal on the blog lately and this post will be no exception. One of my worse nightmares came true this week. I somehow managed to survive a 14 hour bus journey across what is billed as the worse road in SE Asia. That's right, the trip from Angkor Wat, Cambodia to Bangkok. It really was the worst trans-national road I have ever seen, let alone experienced. However, to compound the pain and suffering...that's right, I had a full blown case of diarrhea! Unbelievable! I suffered through the majority of the trip with a mind-numbing cramp, dripping in cold sweats. Cursing the coconut-curry chicken I ate the evening before. I wish to the heavens that it had not been on that day. Praying for the next toilet break only 20 minutes after the last. Cursed to suffer it out because everywhere they tell you: DO NOT LEAVE THE ROAD! There is no ducking in a bush in Cambodia. There are paraplegics everywhere in that country. An all too "in your face reminder" to mind where you step. So, I took my imodium, starved myself, gritted my teeth and bared the brunt of the journey. Then I spent the rest of the next evening close to my hotel room and the wonders of modern plumbing. As is everything in life, it's all about timing. Sometimes you win (as in all the lovely people I have met on this journey purely by chance and coincidence) and sometimes you lose (as with rancid chicken!). May peace and solidity be with you all.

4 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home