Brian's Travel Journal

Friday, September 16, 2005

Asswipe: AKA the town of Asswan

Never before have I seen such a collection of touts, hoodlums, hustlers, scammers and hawkers. This could possibly be the worst town in Egypt. It lies near the bottom of the country in the Nile basin and has the tourist friendly quality of a hungry pitbull. It was feeding time and I felt like the prey. Of course there is the usual T-shirts, tours and spices. But here, the main money maker is taking you somewhere in a vehicle, whether that is a boat, horse or cab. In the previously mentioned order: If I hear the words "faluca?", "carriage?" or "Taksi?" again, I might truly scream.

A bottle of water costs 2 Egyptian Pounds everywhere in the country. I walk up to buy 2 and we actually had a guy straight-face us, look directly in my eyes and say "30 pounds." Are you F'in kidding me? I bought them for 4, but the debate to do it is 1.5 minutes of my life that I will never get back and should never have been spent on such a thief.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home