Brian's Travel Journal

Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Sharm al-Shit

Also known as Sharm al-Sheik. I spent (ie "wasted") the day there yesterday and can see why the terrorists blew it up just this past July. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/4709491.stm

The beach town is dripping with excess that is incomprehensible to believe. First of all, there is grass everywhere. Grass? In the desert! Huge name-brand luxury resorts with private beaches. I couldn't even walk through the lobby of most. My 5 pound taxi ride here in Dahab cost me 20 Egyptian pounds down there. When I priced diving, it was squarely DOUBLE the prices just 2 hours up the road. You're kidding? As I strolled along the boardwalk I noticed the place was full of overweight Europeans and Israelis on holiday. It reminded me a lot of Beverly Hills and West Palm Beach. Places I have enjoyed traveling to, but here in Egypt...I dunno. Maybe it's my current travel mindset. Maybe it's because I'm living out of a backpack and not an expense account. But walking around that place just didn't feel right.

I took a 2 hour bus down to Sharm yesterday, 2 cabs, a shuttle, overpriced lunch, lots of walking, talking and surveying...and then headed straight back on the night bus to Dahab unsatisfied, but considerably more comfortable.

4 Comments:

  • At 12:31 AM, Blogger Joshua said…

    I like the new color scheme on the blog.

     
  • At 8:23 PM, Blogger bdvankeuren said…

    Glad you're checkin in buddy. When can we expect a blog update from you?

     
  • At 3:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i ALSO LIKE THE NEW COLOUR SCHEME.
    whoops. caps lock.
    Hi Brian - i met you back in seoul at the backpackers where you were stayin at. I was the guy trynna get a job.

    It's been real interesting reading of your travels.

     
  • At 4:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    It pretty much covers Replica related stuff.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home